Monday, January 25, 2010

It's not about "Can't We All Get Along?"

Oregon's trying to pull itself part way out of its big financial hole with Ballot Measures 66 and 67, which marginally increase taxes on wealthy individuals and corporations. As I write we're about 24 hours away from knowing whether or not Oregonians will buy in.

So many feelings and issues have been stirred by this campaign. One of them -- deep anger and resentment at banks, credit card companies and Wall Street -- has been strategically mined by those who want these measures passed. That happens to be my side in this fight, but the cost of this button-pushing ad strategy gives me pause. After an earlier column complaining about  this "Yes" campaign spot

I heard from some folks who wanted to throw up after reading my "Can't We All Get Along?" plea.  I know exactly what they're talking about.  I feel the nausea.  But believing they missed the point, I took another swing with this column.
  If this stirs a reactions, I'd like to hear it at www.immensepossibilities.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment