Wednesday, January 20, 2010

This is nothing but a good idea


Taking a break from intense, earnest attempts to ask the Big Questions, this post is just about a good idea.  A simple idea.  Most good ones are.

Tired as they are of the word "sustainability," people I know wants to move towards it.  How, though?  With obstacles so big, with a starting point than can be so discouraging, how do we actually build a sustainable world?

By doing stuff.  Simple, thoughtful stuff.  Enjoyable stuff that shows us, in front of each other, that we actually make a difference.  That gives us an appetite for more.  Stuff like this.

It's not a new idea.  Here's a good NY Times feature on it. Has anyone had personal experience?

[If this is the first post you're receiving by email, welcome.  To add a comment (and that's kind of the point) or see the blog directly, just go here.  More later]





1 comment:

  1. Walking to school is an excellent idea. When I lived in Northern California and attended a one-room schoolhouse for third grade, I walked alone a good distance to school (going especially fast past what I thought were bear caves). But back in the Bay Area, I began the lifelong habit most of us have of depending on a car, either for a ride or to drive, and kept it up most of my life. This year I began walking 3 or 4 miles every morning, which I find helps my body and stirs my brain in a much more challenging way. So the brain needs walking as well, and seniors need walking as much as kids do.

    ReplyDelete